Aug 03 2015

CHURCH CLOCK, ST.LAWRENCE,FRODSHAM CHESHIRE

After the reformation, the south side of the Church in particular was found to have suffered from neglect and was rebuilt early in the 18th century. The embattled tower is built without string courses  but with fine gargoyles, and contains the fragments of stone believed to be of Anglo- Saxon date. It is worth mentioning that church records of 1883 seem to confirm that these were unearthed by workmen during the recent restoration. They were examined by  J.Helsby the historian ( or could it have been T. Helsby the editor of the of the 2nd edition of Ormerods History ?). He gave his opinion that they were ” as old as the 12th century, perhaps representing Christ with a Cross and the trefoil, the emblem of the Holy Trinity .” Although in early times there were only two bells within the tower , now there are eight: six dated 1734 and the other two being added in 1911. Up to the second date , the bells were rung from the ground. The Churchwarden’s accounts have a number of references to earlier  ones, such as a bill from  “John Holland of Frodsham for making five bell ropes besydes the Chancell bell rope ”  in 1614,” and a payment of two shillings in 1708  for ” slinging ye 4th. bell “. There are also references to a ” day tell ”  (Saxon ) bell which told field workers the hours. It stood in bell-cot over the chancel  until  1853. It became known as the ” Dagtail ” or Sanctus Bell which was rung at the elevation of the Host. A board with instructions for the ringers was hung in the tower in 1776 and incorparared the name of the parish.

Tags:

There are no comments yet, add one below.

Leave a Comment